Are you craving a comforting dish that's as easy to make as it is delicious? Look no further than this one-pot calabacitas recipe. Calabacitas, which means "little squash" in Spanish, is a delightful fusion of zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and aromatic spices that come together to create a vibrant and satisfying dish. With just 10 minutes of prep time and 20 minutes of cooking, you can have this savory meal ready to serve four in no time. Plus, it pairs perfectly with Quebracho Empanadas, making it a fantastic choice for your next meal. Let's dive into this culinary delight!
|Prep Time:||10 mins|
|Cook Time:||20 mins|
|Total Time:||30 mins|
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ medium onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, diced (for less heat, remove seeds and pith)
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup corn kernels (frozen or canned)
- 2 medium zucchinis, sliced into half moons
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp oregano
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ cup shredded melting cheese (Chihuahua, Oaxaca, or mozzarella all work great)
Optional toppings: crumbled cotija cheese and chopped cilantro.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and jalapeño. Sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the onions become translucent and the peppers start to soften.
- Add tomato and corn. Mix and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add zucchini, garlic, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Add ¼ cup of water to the skillet, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 8 minutes, or until the zucchini is cooked.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, add melting cheese, and cover for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with cotija and cilantro. Serve immediately.
Quebracho Empanadas: The Perfect Pairing
Looking for a quick and convenient meal? This calabacitas recipe is a wonderful side dish to serve with something equally delicious: Quebracho Empanadas.
Our fully cooked, frozen empanadas are not only easy to prepare but also deliver a taste of authentic Argentinian cuisine to the heart of the Midwest.
For a truly efficient experience, we recommend baking the empanadas while making the calabacitas. The timing is perfect!
Authentic Empanadas in Under 15 Minutes
- Preheat your oven to 425 °F.
- Place the frozen empanadas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the empanadas for 10-12 minutes, or until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Once the empanadas are ready, let them cool slightly before serving.
- Serve them alongside a generous helping of calabacitas.
Whether you're enjoying a cozy night in or sharing a meal with friends and family, the combination of calabacitas and Quebracho Empanadas promises a satisfying and memorable fall feast. With 250 stores carrying our empanadas across the Midwest, you can easily find all the ingredients for this meal in one place. Take a look at our store locator and get ready to bring some South American warmth to your home this fall!